As described in our previous post, the Medicare Part B premium for 2016 for 70% of beneficiaries is $104.90/month (or higher, depending on income), because of the “hold harmless” provision to protect seniors.
30% of the Medicare beneficiaries are not covered by the “hold harmless” provision. Their Medicare Part B premium will increase from $121.80/per month (or higher, depending on income) to $134.00/month. People in this group are:
- Those who do not received Social Security benefits,
- Those who enroll in Part B for the first time in 2017,
- Those who are directly billed for their Part B premium,
- Those who are dually eligible for Medicaid (Medi-Cal in CA) and have their premium paid by the state Medicaid agencies, and
- Those who pay an income-related premium.
Medicare also announced the Part B annual deductible for 2017 which will be $183, compared to $166 in 2016.
REMINDER! Medicare Open Enrollment ends on December 7, 2016!
If you would like to make a change for your Medicare health and drug plans, please contact your local HICAP (Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program) office to get assistance from a certified volunteer counselor.
- HICAP Los Angeles County – 213.383.4519 | Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m
- HICAP Orange County – 714.560.0424 | Mon – Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- HICAP Ventura County – 805.477.7310 | Mon – Fri, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Dianne Kujubu Belli and Kanako Fukuyama (bilingual in English and Japanese) are KEIRO staff and certified HICAP counselors in Orange County. For assistance, please contact 213.873.5700.
KEIRO® is expanding our reach from a focus on long term health care facilities to broadly engaging and supporting thousands of Japanese American and Japanese older adults throughout Los Angeles, Orange, and Ventura counties. KEIRO provides services to older adults and caregivers, along with programs for residents of KEIRO’s former facilities—helping older adults in Our Community to age the way they choose. Find out more at: www.keiro.org